Monday, September 23, 2024

Saltwater Crocs!

 

Australia's feared saltwater crocodile has an outsize reputation in a country where horses and cows kill way more people each year from car accidents. Even bees are deadlier than crocs. But I still wouldn't venture into the water!

🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊


Crocodile attacks generate headlines around the world. I guess being eaten alive by a giant prehistoric reptile captures the imagination. This big female basked in the mud on the Daintree River. 



Crocodiles were the likely reason nobody was swimming off the beautiful waters of Mission Beach when I was there. There were signs warning of the occasional croc visitor. Their ocean-going habits give them the name saltwater crocodile.



A crocodile rests on a beach among the mangroves at low tide on the Daintree River. Coastal estuaries provide perfect habitat for crocs.



The ridges on a crocodile's back are called scutes, but they look like dragon scales to me. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tierra del Fuego

Tierra del Fuego, the land of fire, is found at the southern tip of Chile and Argentina. I was very excited to see this rugged place for mys...